Ref NoIAE
TitleInstitution of Automobile Engineers
Date1905-1980
DescriptionAdministrative papers and membership records of the Institution of Automobile Engineers (IAE). The organisation evolved from the Cycle Engineers' Institute, Birmingham (1898-1904), then called Automobile and Cycle Engineers' Institute, Birmingham (1904-1906) and then Incorporated IAE, London (1906-1911) and then IAE (1911-1947). IAE merged with the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE) in 1947, becoming IMechE's Automobile Division (AD).

The records contains Council and committee minute books and operational papers, approximately 2,850 files of membership records, photographs and other material. Although AD records are technically part of the corporate records of IMechE, they have been listed alongside the IAE because operationally they carried over from one body to the next as a discrete record set. The papers only include 1906 minutes of Automobile and Cycle Engineers' Institute and no records of Cycle Engineers' Institute

IAE/1: Operational records
Business papers for the IAE and AD.

IAE/2: Membership records
Individual applications and associated materials, and operational papers for administrating membership matters.

IAE/3: Memorabilia
Mainly photographs with some event ephemera.


Please note: currently being catalogued. For advice on researching the collection email archive@imeche.org
Extent150 volumes and boxes
LevelCollection
Physical DescriptionBound volumes and files.
Access StatusOpen
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019